Canadian Moms Community -  A free mommy support group forum for moms all across Canada  

Go Back   Canadian Moms Community - A free mommy support group forum for moms all across Canada > Welcome to Canadian Moms Community! > Board Help & Feedback
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Board Help & Feedback Need help? Have a question? Post it here

» Canadian Moms Main Menu
» Home
» Online Users: 31
0 members and 31 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 427, 07-07-2011 at 03:48 AM.
User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Stats
Members: 5,041
Threads: 15,237
Top Poster: Jenn (23,314)
Welcome to our newest member, Corpoo71
» Sponsor #1

» Canadian Moms Business Listings
Adventure & Travel
Babies & Children
Bath & Body
Beauty & Fashion
Breastfeeding
Business Opportunities
Business Services
Cleaners & Maids
Clothing & Shoes
Cooking & Spirits
Crafts & Scrapbooking
Daycares
Dayhomes
Doulas & Midwives
Eco Friendly
Finances & Insurance
Fitness & Weightloss
Free Listing
Hair & Makeup
Health & Happiness
Home & Garden
Jewelry & Gifts
New Age & Spiritual
Parenting
Photography
Pregnancy & Birth
Resources
Services
Shopping & Stores
Support & Safety
Teens & Tweens
Web Design & Graphics
Weddings
Work At Home

Add Your Link
» Announcements! Click the links below for more information

Old 02-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Premier Member

Worried mom

my son is 3 yrs old and im pregnant. im actually worried about how my son will adapt to a new baby.. ive heard some kids bite their new baby brother or sister or hit.. i dont want this to happen and im wondering if anyone has any ideas to prevent the jealousy issue before the baby arrives..
Old 02-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Premier Member Ultimate

We were kind of in the same situation.
DS was 4 when I found out we were expecting and he was just a little over 5 when DD was born
We just introduced him to the whole pregnancy thing slowly and when the baby came, we involved him with routine (getting diapers, getting the bottle, etc...)
We got some good books for him as well "I'm going to be a big brother" and "I'm a big brother" (I believe these were the titles) and it helped.
We also did special "big kid parent time" after DD was born.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Premier Member

i know how your feeling, im due in may and dd will be 2.5 when lo arrives. I'm also worried as to how she will react because i'm a stay at home mom so she pretty much has all my attention all day. Were just going to emphasize her role as big sister as much as possible and let her know how much mommy appreciates having a special helper. We also plan on setting some time aside for her each day for just mommy and her or just daddy and her, and it will be her special time. When we first told her about the baby she would go around hitting her dolls so that made me extra worried but lately she seems more accepting, has been playing nice with her dolls (hugging,feeding them,etc) and says she going to help mommy with the baby when it comes. She also will kiss and hug my belly which makes me tear up lol. We still occaisionally get "i'm going to hit the baby" but we make it clear that this won't be tolerated and if she tries to hit my belly or her dolls she usually gets a short time out
Old 02-08-2012, 04:47 AM

Hello, was in the sam eposition as your a little while ago, i will say, do not worry about the situation. IT will work out ok. My kids are 18mths apart. At first my daughter was curious,, the rejecting, but now super protective of her kid brother. All the best and enjoy the time with your baby.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 PM

Smile

The same as woladeji my kids kids are 18 mths apart and everything went smooth, I mean for kids. There will always be a little rejection, usually followed by protection. And remember there are always bumps in the road hope all goes well and enjoy the new one as much as you did the first one
Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 AM

I have a 2.5 year age gap and thankfully there has been no jealosy at all. We just made sure to include dd in everything
Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Premier Member +

I think you'll be fine, as long as you are positive about the baby and work to include the older one. Once the baby comes, instead of saying "Mommy has to go...", say things like "Time to change the baby, want to help?". It's amazing how close they can be if you nurture their caring side, even if it takes a little while to develop.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:35 AM
Premier Member +++

I have the same feelings you do and baby could come at any time!! DD will go through phases like "I am going to be a great big sister!" to "I don't want to be a big sister, I don't want to have a baby sister" (She thinks and would prefer to have a sister - we don't know what it is... )
She is waking up in the middle of the night and freaking out for me and I am not looking forward to calming her and baby during the nite...
We're going to be positive about helping out, but I'm also trying to get her to do things on her own (she brushes her teeth, gets dressed, etc), but when it comes to play time, she always wants one of us to play with her. DH is a SAHD. We've also got her in swimming lessons and gymnastics to help keep her busy and then she'll be going to preschool in the fall. We're hoping that these activites will show her that growing up is OK and she doesn't have to stress.